Thursday

Getting on the Team | Success Tips




Getting on the team is one of the most nerve racking aspects of starting basketball. Attending a try-out can be scary, but I will present you with a few tips on how to succeed in a try-out and getting you on the team with less stress and worry.  

Most coaches look for a certain types of players, sometimes they need to fill spots for those that have moved up in ranking ( Frosh to JV to Varsity) and some need to completely rebuild their team and their program. Try outs usually consist of fresh faces and players who are already on the team working their tails off to stay on the team. See I was always told that I could be replaced because there are hundreds of thousands of girls who want to be on the team as well. So this is where the tips begin if you follow one or even all of these tips you are sure to have a very high chance to getting on that team! 


Before the try-outs... I'm providing tips before the try-outs because you don't want to show up in a gym full of girls who have been playing a little longer than you have or who have already proved themselves to get a spot on the team the year before. Remember your competition's the girls who are trying out. Everyone wants to get on the team but honestly only 10-15 girls will make it. Period. 

#1. Work on basic skills such as ball handling. If you can purchase one or two  balls or borrow them from a relative, neighbor or friend do this... 
  1. Dribble with both hands while in one place 100 times
  2. Dribble with alternating hands ( at the same time) 100 times, 
  3. With only one ball dribble 100 times each hand while jogging up and down the street, drive way or court if one is available. Do this 10 times up and back for each hand. This will increase your dribbling skills very quickly, at least to show that you have some dribbling skills. I'm sure the coach will assist you once you make the team. 
  4. Also work on your lay-ups. Do 50 lay-ups on each side every day. This is a very important skill to have. Its the easiest yet most missed shot by newer players.

#2. Do a bit of working out. Basketball is a fast paced game and most great players play up to 40 minutes per game. Although this is rare in junior high school and even high school Its very very possible in college and above. I suggest you attempt 3 sets of the following every other day.

  1. 10-20 push ups, 
  2. 50 sit ups, 
  3. 1 set of suicides ( this can be done in an empty parking lot), 
  4. A mile run every day. 
  5. Play Pick Up basketball. whether with a friend, a parent, sibling it doesn't matter. Playing basketball is a great way to learn how to play the game. It just takes practice! 

Stamina is very important in playing basketball, so is strength. Although this is a very very basic work out, it will help to  improve  in those areas. 

#3. Talk to the coach. This isn't intended for you to beg to be on the team or anything like that. Its to let the coach know your passion and desire to be on the team. No on is going to think your a butt kisser or anything like that, it just shows the coach that you are determined to work hard and put in the effort to be on the team. 

#4. Get to know the players already on the team. Hey they go to the same school as you and you probably have classes with them also. Talk to them and ask them questions about the team, what to expect and just generally talk basketball with them. Basketball players love to talk about the game most of the time, so chatting with a peer would be a great idea. 

During the try-outs. Okay now its time to show off your skills. Whether your a vet or a newbie these tips will help you get on the team. 

#1. Go Hard or Go Home. This statement is, what it is. If you don't work hard on the court, hustling, diving for the ball, sprinting up and down the court, defending your "man" etc, you will rarely make the team. I've noticed in my basketball days that coaches love hustle players. They might not be the best scorers or ball handlers but EVERYONE loves to see players give that extra effort. 

#2. Be a team player. Although your trying out with your competition you still can show major skill by passing the ball. Coaches love to see players who can share the ball and get their teammates involved. NO ONE LIKES A BALL HOG. So be sure to pass the ball then cut, a good player will recognize you and pass it right back for the lay up. 

#3. Dont be afraid to show off juuuust a little bit. If you have a special move and you know you can apply it correctly in a game like situation, try it out. Use your dribbling skills, or great footwork to get you recognized. Coaches like to see that players practiced their skills before they step into the gym. Players also like to play against good competition. 

#4. Be confident. I'm not saying be conceited I'm saying play with your head held high! If you miss a shot, sprint back on defense and get the ball back. Show the coaches that your a threat on either side of the court. 

My first high school try out experience... When I transferred school , from Lynwood High School to Gahr High school, I was asked by the school counselor if I wanted P.E. or a Sport. The counselor highly recommend I try to play basketball because of my height. I was pretty excited but scared because I never really played for a real team. Not saying the Lynwood traveling team wasn't real, but it wasn't my team that I could potentially play 4 straight years for. Anyways I looked at my father and said sure Ill give it a shot. 

 During this time, I was already asking my father to take me to the park to play, but this was serious. We practice after school and on the weekends. Like I said my father was killing me, but one day I did beat him and that's when he said I was ready.

 Try outs were coming up quick and my nerves were boiling. All I could think was, I'm not good enough, because those girls were just as good as the older Lynwood team. Once I stepped on the court things changed. I focused,I became a different person. When the whistle blew I was ready. I hustled, made great moves, passed the ball around to the other players and had a really fun and great time. 

There were over 60 girls trying out just for the freshman team, so the competition was high and there was only enough room for 13 girls. We had to wait almost a full week before the results were posted up at the gym. I didn't look until everyone else was gone. My heart pounded and my palms were sweaty. I slid my finger down the list and right near the bottom was Mone't Sykes Freshman team. I was excited but I didn't really show it, because I though tit was a dream, I hate to get excited about things and they don't come through.

Well this one did and I jumped for joy when I was called to the coaches office for an interview. I was explained to that I needed to have my grades up at a 2.0 and have my parents permission to travel to different schools and so forth. My height and weight was taken and my shoe sizes was requested for our cool new shoes we would get. 

All I can think was, that extra practicing really paid off. I wasn't nearly as good with the Lynwood girls as I was with the Gahr girls. I still needed lots and lots of training and practice but I made the team! And the rest was history. 

Ill tell you more of the story tomorrow in the next section... 

Feel free to ask me any questions , leave comments, and definitely subscribe to this blog. 
As I said before I'm here to give you my story, my advice and my love for basketball as you girls have. 

I'm excited and cant wait till the next time... keep ballin' girl, the games not over yet! 

Mone't ( but you can call me Moe)





No comments:

Post a Comment